Pistachio Shortbread Cookies
Yield: about 21 cookies
2 sticks, (1 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 cup whole pistachios
Pinch of salt
Zest of one orange
1. Set oven to 350F
2. Cream the butter and the sugar together and beat in vanilla.
3. Whisk flour, cornstarch, pinch of salt and orange zest together. Blend into butter and sugar until a dough forms.
4. Stir in the pistachios until they are distributed throughout the dough.
5. Place dough on a sheet of plastic wrap and form it into a log, about 10 inches long. Wrap the dough in the plastic, smooth into a uniform shape, and twist the ends to secure.
6. Refrigerate the dough for at least 3 hours.
7. Slice dough into 1/4 – 1/3 inch slices and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
*Note: thin slices will bake crispier cookies while thick slices will be more buttery and soft.
8. Bake for about 10 minutes. The cookies will be pale and soft, but will firm up as they cool.
9. Cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet, then cool completely on a baking rack.
1-1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
Juice of 1 orange
1. Whisk ingredients together. For a thicker glaze, add additional powdered sugar.
2. Drizzle glaze over cookies.
3. Allow glaze to set before serving.